John Gainsford IV1

#2953, ( - 1460)
Relationship15th great-grandfather of William David Lewis
Father*John Gainsford III2 ( - bt 1449 - 1450)
Mother*Margaret _____3
John Gainsford IV was also known as John Gaynesford Jr. 
John Gainsford IV was also known as John Gaynesford. 
Marriage*He married Anne Wakehurst
1452Knight of the Shire in 1452.4 
Death*1460He died in 1460 at EnglandB.2 
Burial*12 July 1460He was buried on 12 July 1460 at St. George's Church, Crowhurst, Surrey, EnglandB.5 
ChartsAncestors of William D. Lewis

Citations

  1. [S301] Adrian Benjamin Burke, John Blythe Dobson and Janet Chevalley Wolfe, "The Exhurst Ancestry of the Stoughton Siblings of New England", The New England Historical and Genealogical Register 165,166 (Oct. 2011, Jan. 2012): Vol. 166, p. 57, and see footnote 104: "A history of the Culpepper family is provided in F.W.T. Attree and J.H.L. Booker, “The Sussex Colepepers, Part I and II,” Sussex Archaeological Collections, 47 (1904):47–81 and 48 (1905):65–98. The pedigree of “Colepeper of Bedgebury” (48:72–73) shows Walter Roberts of Cranbrook married to Isabel, daughter of Sir John Culpepper of Bedgebury and his wife Agnes, sister of John Gainsford. The identification of Isabel’s father as Sir John Culpeper is consistent with the Roberts pedigrees in both Kent visitations (Hovenden [note 6], 93, and Bannerman [note 12], 2:24) and in the Roberts (p. 68) and Culpepper (p. 2) pedigrees in the Sussex visitation [note 17]. Other Culpepper pedigrees in these visitations omit Isabel."
  2. [S338] G.R. French, "A Brief Account of Crowhurst Church, Surrey, and its Monuments", The Surrey Archaeological Society Surrey Achaeological Collections, Vol. III (1865): p. 59.
  3. [S338] G.R. French, "A Brief Account of Crowhurst Church", p. 59-60.
  4. [S338] G.R. French, "A Brief Account of Crowhurst Church", p. 59, year 31 Henry VI.
  5. [S339] H.E. Malden, editor, A History of the County of Surrey, Volume 4 (London: Elliot Stock, 1912), transcription of "Parishes: Crowhurst", online www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43064, "In the Purbeck slab on the tomb against the south wall of the chancel is the brass figure of a man in 15th-century plate armour with his feet resting on the back of a dog. Below the figure is the following black letter inscription: 'Hic jacet Johannès Gaynesford Armiger Et Anna uxor eius filia | Richardi Wakeherst qui quidem Johannes obiit in festo Translacionis | Sancti Thome martiris anno domini M-CCCC-LX quorum animabus propicietur Deus.' In the top sinister corner of the slab is a shield like the one on the altar tomb on the south side of the chancel. The lower part of the tomb is panelled and contains shields of Wakehurst, Gainsford, and Gainsford quartering de la Poyle."
    Note:July 12.