Patsy "Martha" Downen1
#3939, (circa 1784 - circa 1855)
| (an unknown value.)3 |
| Patsy "Martha" Downen was also known as Martha. |
|Her married name was Price.4 |
|Her married name was Crunk.1 |
|Her married name was Barton.5 |
|Birth*||circa 1784||She was born circa 1784 at South CarolinaG (age 66 in 1850; 1820 and 1830 census age ranges would give birth in 1779-1791.)6 |
|1790||She appeared on the census of 1790 in the household of Josiah Downen and Mary Elizabeth Smith at Pendleton Co., South CarolinaG.7 |
|Marriage*||1 April 1806||She married Thompson Price, son of Joseph Price and Elizabeth Ann Gillison, on 1 April 1806 at Muhlenberg Co., KentuckyG.8,9,10 |
|Marriage*||19 November 1812||She married John Crunk on 19 November 1812 at Knox (now Posey) Co., IndianaG.11 |
|1820||She and John Crunk appeared on the census of 1820 at Lynn Twp., Posey Co., IndianaG; poss. 4 daus. and 4 sons; neis. Ball, Downin [Downen], Smith, Cross.12 |
|1830||She and John Crunk appeared on the census of 1830 at Black Twp., Posey Co., IndianaG; 7 sons, 1 dau; neis. neis. Bryant Bird, Solomon Duty, William Oliver, Webb, Allyn, McCoy.13 |
|14 September 1844||In John Crunk's will dated 14 September 1844, Patsy "Martha" Downen was named as an heir; (other witness was one of the Josiah Downens.)14 |
|28 August 1850||She appeared on the census of 28 August 1850 at Lynn Twp., Posey Co., IndianaG; also Sarah A Crunk (15), Wm. D Crunk (9); neis. Wm (43) and Elizabeth Bird, fam. 672; John and Anna Crunk and 6 children and 3 Moore children, fam. 670.6,15 |
|Death*||circa 1855||She died circa 1855 at Posey Co., IndianaG.16 |
- [S246] Indiana Marriage Collection, 1802-1892 [database], online Ancestry.com, Name: Patsy Price; Spouse: John Crunk; Date: 19 Nov 1812; County: Knox; State: Indiana
Source: County Court Records at Vincennes, IN
Note: Knox County incl. current Posey County until division to Warrick and Posey in 1813-14.
- [S48] Gerald Ray Lewis Family Tree, Gerald Ray Lewis, owner, online Ancestry.com, http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/1282739/person/-1514015849
- [S520] VWH, Derived form this post by Emily Moore, 14 Jan 2007 (http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/barton/…
"John Crunk's estate was in court in 1844 in Posey County. His heirs included his widow, Martha, and Joseph, Samuel, Timothy, Mathew, Abner, David, John, William, James, and Fanny Crunk; David & Rachel Utley; Robert & Nancy Watkins; Mathew & Ann Duty, and Elizabeth, John & William Byrd. (Source: Cox, Carroll & Gloria, Posey County, Indiana: A Documented History, self-published, Poseyville, IN 1982, volume I page 45)."
Without viewing the document, one possible deduction:
1. Joseph, Samuel, Timothy, Mathew, Abner, David, John are children of John, living in 1844.
2. William, James, and Fanny Crunk are grandchildren, of son William D (deceased by 1844) and Nancy Hunter; Nancy Watkins is their sister.
3. David & Rachel Utley are son-in-law and daughter.
4. Robert & Nancy Watkins are grandson-in-law and granddaughter; Nancy is the sister of William, James and Fanny.
5. Mathew & Ann Duty are grandchildren, of daughter Mary "Polly" and Matthew Duty.
6. Elizabeth, John & William Byrd are grandchildren, of daughter Nancy and Briant Byrd.
- [S50] Kentucky Marriage Records 1802-1850, online \Ancestry.com\, Spouse 1: Downing, Patty; Spouse 2: Price, Thompson; Marriage Date: 1 Apr 1806; Marriage Location: Kentucky, Muhlenberg County.
- [S629] Emily Moore, Re: anna barton b abt 1821/m mathew duty 1838. Internet post 14 Jan 2007, online genforum.genealogy.com/barton/messages/5026.html.
- [S20] 1850 U.S. Federal Census. Martha (66), b. SC.
- [S268] 1790 U.S. Federal Census, image viewed online Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.com. Josiah (16+); Mary (F); M (16+) [Job or William]; 3 m (<16) [Josiah, Timothy, David]; 3 f [Elizabeth, Patsy and Hannah or Polly].
- [S50] Kentucky Marriage Records 1802-1850, online Ancestry.com, Patty Downing and Thompson Price, marr.1 Apr 1806, Muhlenberg Co. KY.
- [S693] Muhlenberg County KY GenWeb Project, online muhlenberg.genealogenie.net, Marriage Register Book, p. 2, no. 14. Thompson Price and Patsy Downing, marr. Apr 1806, by Charles Lewis.
- [S1413] The Register of the Kentucky Historical Society, compiler, Kentucky Marriage Records (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1983), p. 607. Muhlenberg Co., 1799-1836. Thompson Price and Patty Downing, marr. __ Apr 1806, by Charles Lewis, online Ancestry.com. Hereinafter cited as Kentucky Marriage Records.
- [S246] Indiana Marriage Collection, 1802-1892, online Ancestry.com, Patsy Price and John Crunk, marr. 19 Nov 1812; Knox Co. IN. Source: County Court Records at Vincennes, IN. Note: Knox County incl. current Posey County until division to Warrick and Posey in 1813-14.
- [S115] 1820 U.S. Federal Census. John (26-44), F (26-44) [Patsy]; m (10-15), 4 m <10; f (16-25), 3 f (<10).
- [S116] 1830 U.S. Federal Census. John (50-59), F (40-49) [Patsy]; m (15-19) [Timothy], 3 m (10-14) [Matthew,____, ____], 2 m (5-9) [Abner, David], m (<5) [John Martin]; f (10-14) [Rachel].
- [S785] Posey County Will Record A & B 1816-1852 (n.p.: n.pub., unknown), pp. 126-127. John Crunk, witnessed by Josiah Downen and Robert Givens, 14 Sep 1844. Martha Crunk receives real estate for her lifetime and all personal property after debts are paid; after her death, real estate to be equally divided among living children after Martha's death; son Joseph named executor. Will proved 8 Oct 1844.
""I John Crunk...so as to promote peace and harmony in my family after my death....I give and bequeath to my wife Martha Crunk in case she survives all the real estate...all my personal property....I do allow my real estate after my wife's death to be sold and the amount equally divided amongst my children....I appoint my son Joseph Crunk executor."
- [S46] John C. Leffel, History of Posey County (Leffel) (Chicago IL: Standard Publishing Company, 1913), p. 678, William D. Crunk: " after the death of his parents made his home with his grandmother until he was thirteen years old, when she too died."
- [S46] John C. Leffel, History of Posey Co. (Leffel), p. 678, William D. Crunk: "born March 10, 1842, son of Timothy and Ruthy (Barton) Crunk" and " after the death of his parents made his home with his grandmother [Martha] until he was thirteen years old, when she too died."
- [S48] Gerald Ray Lewis Family Tree, online Ancestry.com.
- [S48] Gerald Ray Lewis Family Tree, online Ancestry.com, http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/1282739/person/-1514027567
- [S46] John C. Leffel, History of Posey Co. (Leffel), p. 122. "John Crunk, his [Alexander's] grandfather,was a native of Tennessee, emigrating from that State and locating in Posey County about the year 1808. He was the father of Timothy D[ownen], who was born after his removal to the county and was the father of Alex."
- [S20] 1850 U.S. Federal Census. David (41), b. NC, farmer; Rachael (34), b. IN.
- [S198] Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941 [database], Jordan Dodd, Liahona Research and Works Progress Administration, compilers, online Ancestry.com, Name: John M Crunk; Marriage Date: Oct 24 1886; Marriage County: Posey; Birth Date: abt 1828; Age: 58; Father Name: John; Mother Name: Patsy Downen.