Margaret Tremper1

#1502, (28 September 1795 - before 25 July 1860)
RelationshipGreat-grandaunt of Nelle Belle Bridges
Father*Daniel Tremper1 (1770 - 1845)
Mother*Ariette Kieffer1 (c 1773 - 1841)

Family 1

Philip Quinlain d. b 1846

Family 2

Mark Strickland b. c 1792, d. 1883
Child 1.Francis B Strickland14 (1824 - )
Her married name was Strickland.2 
Her married name was Quinlain.3 
Birth*28 September 1795She was born on 28 September 1795 at New YorkG.1 
1800She appeared on the census of 1800 in the household of Daniel Tremper at Kingston, Ulster Co., New YorkG; neis. John Tremper (26-44), fam. 9227; Lawrence Keefer (45+), fam. 9243.4
circa 1805She removed with Daniel Tremper and Ariette Kieffer to Chaumont, Town of Lyme, Jefferson Co., New YorkG, circa 1805 with brother John and families.5,6,7 
1810She appeared on the census of 1810 in the household of Daniel Tremper and Ariette Kieffer at Brownville, Jefferson Co., New YorkG; (neis. Britton, Livingworth, Smith, Paver, Abel Tremper.)8
between 1810 and 1814She removed with Daniel Tremper and Ariette Kieffer between 1810 and 1814 with all children from New York to Ohio. Daniel's sister, Mary, and her family also came to Ohio at or about the same time.9 
Marriage*23 August 1821She married Philip Quinlain on 23 August 1821 at Clermont Co., OhioG.3 
Marriage*before 1824She married Mark Strickland, son of Michael Strickland and Eleanor Cullen, before 1824 at Clermont Co., OhioG; 2nd marr. both.2 
1830She and Mark Strickland appeared on the census of 1830 at New Richmond, Clermont Co., OhioG; (neis. Dan Davis; Johnston Tremper, p. 213.10 
1840She and Mark Strickland appeared on the census of 1840 at New Richmond, Clermont Co., OhioG; (John L Tremper and Leah Tremper, sh. 227.)11 
25 October 1850She and Mark Strickland appeared on the census of 25 October 1850 at Dist. 22, Ohio Twp., Clermont Co., OhioG; also Ellen Graham (16), b. OH.12 
Death*before 25 July 1860She died before 25 July 1860 at Clermont Co., OhioG; (poss.)13 

Citations

  1. [S368] Frank Munsell and Thomas P. Hughes, compilers, American Ancestry, twelve volumes (Albany, NY: Joel Munsell's Sons, 1887-1899), XI:61, "b. Sep. 28, 1795."
  2. [S618] Byron Williams, History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio (Milford, Ohio: Hobart Publishing Company, 1913), pp. 226-227. "Mr. Strickland was three times married, the first union being with Tryphosa Newton, daughter of Ebenezer Newton, a Clermont pioneer, and author of‘ a text book on spelling. To this union were born two sons and two daughters. His second marriage was with Margaret Quinlan and his third wife was Elizabeth Snider, who bore him two daughters, Belle, who married Mel Patchell, of Middletown, Ohio, and Emma, who married Arthur Grant, of Mt. Washington, Ohio. He survived all three wives."
    Children of Mark Strickland: Paul McGraw, b. Monroe LA 1821, d. Clermont Co. OH 1874; Francis B; Alice, marr. 1st John Swem, and 2nd John McDonald; and Eleanor, marr. John Graham.
  3. [S419] Ohio County Marriages, 1789-1994/1997/2013, index and images, online FamilySearch.org.
  4. [S269] 1800 U.S. Federal Census. M (26-44) [Daniel]; F (26-44) [Ariette]; m (16-25) [____]; 2 m (<10) [Michael, James]; 3 f (<10) [Elizabeth, Catherine, Margaret],.
  5. [S209] John A. Haddock, The Growth of a Century: as illustrated in the history of Jefferson County, New York, from 1793 to 1894 (Philadelphia: Sherman and Co., 1894),
    Jonas Smith and Henry A. Delemater were the first settlers in the town. They came from Ulster county. New York, as agents for LeRay, with several others, among whom were Timothy Soper, with his brothers James and David R., M. Esselstyu and Peter Pratt. They came in a boat by way of Oswego, in 1801. sailing into Chaumont Bay, named on old maps "Nivernois" bay, after the Duke de Nivernois, a French nobleman. It was also called " Hungry Bay." They ascended Chaumont Bay about two and a half miles and began a settlement on the north bank of the stream, at what is now known as "Old Town Spring." They built a double log house for a store and dwelling, and also a frame building, but the location was found to be inconvenient and unhealthy, and it was abandoned. In 1808 they established themselves where the present village of Chaumont stands, which was surveyed into a town-plot the same season. During that year Smith & Delemater erected a saw-mill on the site of the Copely mill ; a warehouse was built, and Luther Britton opened the first tavern where the Elliott House stood, and later occupied the old Coffeen House, a stone structure which is yet standing on the north side of the bay, in a good state of preservation. Afterward Samuel Britton opened a tavern, but finally removed to the shore of the St. Lawrence river, opposite Linda's island. Before settling in Chaumont he traded the lot on which the court-house in Watertown now stands for a barrel of whisky.
    Several families from Ulster county located here at this time, and for a year or two the settlement flourished ; but in 1806 Smith & Delemater failed, lake fevers were prevalent, several deaths took place, and the growth of the village received a check. The first death was that of Timothy Soper, who was drowned in 1803. In 1805 a vessel was begun by a New Yorker by the name of Jones, who died before it was finished. Nancy Smith opened a school that year, being the first teacher in Chaumont. Delemater cleared the first land on Point Salubrious, so named by LeRay because of its freedom from malaria, in 1803, on a farm afterward owned by Harry Horton, who settled there in 1810. The first actual settler on the Point was James Horton, in 1806. Its freedom from sickness and the importance of its fishing interests, promoted its rapid settlement.
    By 1805 Daniel and John Tremper had settled on the Point and Henry Thomas had opened a store of goods at Chaumont. Other early settlers on the Point were Silas Taft, Stephen Fisher, David and Joseph Rider.
  6. [S237] William H. Horton, editor, Geographical Gazetteer of Jefferson County, N.Y 1684–1890 (Syracuse, N.Y.: Syracuse Journal Company, 1890), p. 557: "In 1805 James Horton moved the families of Daniel and John Tremper to the Chaumont settlement, and the next year came with his own family from Colchester, Delaware County, and located on Point Salubrious, where he was the first permanent settler. The Tremper's were tanners, in which business they engaged soon after locating here."
  7. [S581] Jere. Coughlin, compiler, Jefferson County Centennial 1905 (Watertown, N.Y.: Hungerford-Holbrook Co., 1905), "In 1805 [James] LeRay made very liberal offers to mechanics to settle in Chaumont and in Feb. of the same year John M. Tremper and Daniel Tremper, brothers, tanners by trade came here led by these inducements. James Horton, who was relied upon as a wagoner in going to and from distant markets, brought the Tremper families with his ox team from Kingston N.Y. to their new home."
  8. [S238] 1810 U.S. Federal Census. Daniel (26-44); Ariette (26-44); 2 m (10-15) [Michael and James], m (<10) [John Lawrence or Johnston]; 2 f (10-15) [Catherine and Margaret], 2 f (<10) [Leah and Anna Maria].
  9. [S520] VWH, In NY 1810 census; son William b. OH 1814 (need OH rec. for Anna Maria and Daniel).
  10. [S116] 1830 U.S. Federal Census. Mark (30-39): m (15-19); 2 m (5-9) [Paul, Francis]; f (15-19), f (10-15) [Alice].
  11. [S54] 1840 U.S. Federal Census. Mark (40-49); F (40-49) [Margaret]; 2 m (15-19) [Paul, Francis].
  12. [S20] 1850 U.S. Federal Census. Mark (58), b. NJ, no occ.; Margaret (53), b. NY.
  13. [S520] VWH.
  14. [S122] J. Douglas Leith and Priscilla (Tremper) Leith, "Daniel Tremper Pioneer Family of Jefferson County NY", 2011 (Auburndale, MA), online http://jefferson.nygenweb.net/tremper.htm